This page is for archival purposes only
DICKINSON DAYS - first weekend in
It's Moss Kent Dickinson's Birthday
and Manotick village invites you to the party!
We celebrate Moss Kent Dickinson's Birthday every year!
The village of Manotick invites you to join in the celebration of the unique history of the village, its founders, and Watson's Mill on the first weekend in June. We've organized a celebration full of family fun in Manotick, a rural village in Canada's capital. [map]
June 6-8, 2003 was a great weekend!
Kinsmen and Kiwanis teamed up for the 28th annual, weekend-long, Dickinson Days Celebration on June 6,7,8, 2003. Moss Kent's 181 this year! And Manotick is 144 yrs.old.
June 6, 7 and 8, mark the 28th annual celebration of Manotick's popular Dickinson Days. Moss Kent Dickinson, the founding father of Manotick back in the 1800s celebrates his actual birthday on June 1st, 1822 but the party is always on the first weekend in June. Most of the celebration takes place in Dickinson Square, the conservation area around the mill that Mr. Dickinson built. (The mill was later renamed Watson's Mill after the new owner, and is the oldest still grinding gristmill in Ontario). Featuring an old fashioned parade, an outdoor craft market, non-stop entertainment, food, children's fun, dancing, music, and more, Dickinson Days are truly a weekend of fun for the whole family. Best of all, it's mostly free.
Friday June 6 - hosted by the Manotick Kiwanis
- 6:30 pm Parade The weekend starts in the traditional way, with the good old-fashioned Kiwanis Parade down Manotick Main Street to the arena. Look for the Brockville Steel Drum Band, Carol Ann Decker, Highland Mist Band, SpartiCat, old-time cars, trucks and motorcycles. Harry Youngs from Young and Company introduces parade participants from the balcony of Kelly's Welcome.
- 7:30 pm Post-Parade Party Refreshments, Moon Bounce, Family Photo Booth all at the finishing point of the parade, the arena
- 8 pm Magic Circus Delights Magic Show at the arena
Saturday, June 7 - hosted by the Manotick Kinsmen
- 7 - 11 am Pancake breakfast. Loaded plates will
fill you up at this time-honored favorite. Follow your nose to the tent!
9 am - noon Manotick Bait & Tackle's Kids fishing derby is set to disprove the old adage that the early bird gets the worm. Those fish will bite any time. Or will they? Come and join the fun on the dam by the mill.
- All day 9 am - 5 pm
- Outdoor Craft Market in the historic center of town. It surrounds the Mill, lines Mill Street and beyond.
- Pioneer Days on the lawns of Watson's Mill. Blacksmiths, chair caning, open hearth cooking, lace making, historical needlework, rug hooking, and tin smithing to learn about
- Village Perk's Daylight "Cruise Night" car show. Antique, classic and custom cars, trucks and motorcycles on display. Come. Admire. Meet the owners. Vote for your favorites.
- Petting zoo , pony rides
- Live entertainment on the free outdoor stage:
- United Church Contemporary Band,
- Barbershop Quartet,
- Pique Dance Studio,
- Ottawa Police Choir,
- Denise Smith Dancers,
- Jiu Jitsu demonstrations,
- Gwen Cadman,
- Junkyard Symphony,
- Ira McWilliam's old time fiddling.
- Noon -5 pm Rib Roast Hot platters of fresh-off-the barbeque ribs make a great meal!
- 8:30 pm -Dance Star Tools 50's & 65's music will have you dancing on the big floor of the arena. Advance tickets $8, at the door $10. Licensed. Oyster Bar.
Sunday, June 8 - hosted by the Manotick Kiwanis
- 2-5 pm Country Jamboree It's going to get lively!
Rain or shine. Ball diamond 1, or inside the arena if it rains. Bring chairs
- Freddie Pitz and the Country Comrades
- Amy Irving
- Osgoode Township Stepper
- Ira McWilliams
Contacts for information:Randy Hughes firstname.lastname@example.org, 692-2916
- Kinsmen Club of Manotick & District
Dale Davidson email@example.com, 521-1736
- Kiwanis Club of Manotick
Manotick Directory owner Pat Drummond promoted Dickinson Days as a community service from 2003 to 2017.