Historical Buildings around Manotick
Historical Buildings in Manotick
- Manotick Self-Guided Walking Tours
Walking Tour #1 and Walking Tour #2 describe many interesting buildings in the historic centre of the village, some dating back to 1860.
Watson's Mill (1859) 5525 Dickinson
The most photographed and painted location in Manotick, this heritage building is a restored 19th-century grist mill that still functions today using the power of the Rideau River to grind wheat into stone-ground whole wheat flour. It's one of the best-preserved examples of 19th century mill architecture in Eastern Ontario, and is designated as part of the historic Dickinson Square. The symmetrical stone building is on the banks of the Rideau River. Supported by the City and a volunteer board.
- Ayres Building / former Union Bank (c.1902) 1128 Mill St.
Built to house a bank, the design included the manager's quarters on the second storey - a security precaution typical of the time. It was owned by the Rideau Valley Conservation Authority until 2015, when it was sold to the current occupant, Rural Ottawa South Support Services (ROSSS)
- Manotick United Church
(1904) 5567 Manotick Main St., Manotick
Built to replace a church lost in a fire in 1902, the members of the congregation cut and dressed the stones that were hauled from a quarry near Limebank to build the church. The interior has beautiful dark wood wainscoting and a ceiling designed in a double-herringbone pattern. Church services Sunday 10:30 am.
St. James Anglican Church (1985) 1138 Bridge St., Manotick
An example of a modern reconstruction (1985) that respects the style and appearance of the original church (1876). The original stained glass windows, plaques and furnishings were carefully incorporated into the new church. Moss Kent Dickinson donated the land for the original church, a landmark in Manotick for over a century.
- Knox Presbyterian Church (1926) 5533 Dickinson St., Manotick
Built by local Presbyterians who decided not to join the United Church upon its formation in 1925. Designed by Ottawa architect J.P. MacLaren, it is constructed of cement block manufactured at the Boyd Cement Block Company in Osgoode.
Historical Buildings in North Gower
- City of Ottawa Archives, Rideau Branch (1876) - 6581 Fourth Line
The former North Gower Township town hall. Restored and opened as the Archive in 1990.
- Former Marlborough Township Hall (1855) - 3048 Pierce Rd, Pierces
Constructed by Robert Mackey as a community centre, the one-story frame building was moved to its present site in 1934. The framing uses a series of posts and trusses that allows a clear ceiling.
- Holy Trinity Anglican Church (1879)
- 2372 United Ave (Church St.), North Gower
A single storey stone church supported by heavy stone buttresses and fronted with an imposing bell tower, it sites on land originally deeded to the Synod of the Diocese of Ontario in 1867. Tall stained glass windows dominate the Sanctuary while commemorative ones are displayed throughout the church.
- North Gower United Church (1870)
- 2332 Church St, North Gower
This frame church has a whimsical clock face hand-painted on the tower with the hands recording the times of the service. Sunday Services 9:30am.
- St John the Baptist Anglican Church (1892)
- 3027 Pierce Rd., Pierces Corners
Designed by Amaldi and Caldeson, Architects, this solid timber frame church has stone foundation and central bell tower. All original pews and stained glass windows. Church stable, once used for the congregation's horses, still stands.
Historical Buildings in Kars
- St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church (1876) - 6810 Rideau Valley Dr
Built by local craftsmen, the Gothic style building was typical country village churches of the era. The original diagonal ceiling is of particular note.
- Trinity United Church (1895)
- 6656 Rideau Valley Dr. S., Kars
Stone church designed in the Gothic Revival style that includes a bell tower supporting a 3 foot diameter bronze cast bell. Fine craftsmanship is evident in the interior: curved hardwood pews and pulpit, sloped floor, vee-joint patterned wooden ceiling, and large memorial window.
Historical Building in Burritts Rapids
Christ Church (Anglican)
(1832) - 4419 Donnelly Dr., Burritt's Rapids
This frame church is typical of the early rural churches of the province, which were designed almost without exception in the Gothic Revivial style. A simple rectangular shape and pointed arched windows and door openings are the basic features of these buildings. This church also has an accenting window of circular design and a decorative tower. The window is found on the tower under a pediment of Classic Revivial style. The design of the tower is a highly vernacular interpretation of the Gothic Revival style with the characteristic quoins, crenellations and pinnacles.